Brad Allen – How to hire a contractor and best protect yourself
Brad Allen discusses steps on hiring a contractor and how to best protect yourself from liabilities.
- Look up your contractor reputation, and check with references.
- All contractors in Pennsylvania are required to be registered. Confirm they are registered by visiting and searching on hicsearch.attorneygeneral.gov.
- Make sure that all workers are covered by Worker’s Compensation, or are legally exempt as is the case for many Amish contractors.
- Make sure they have general liability insurance. You can contact their insurance agency and ask for a certificate for proof of insurance.
- Get the scope of work in writing.
- Confirm that no workers have been misclassified against the PA Construction Misclassification Act.
Call us with any questions!